Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am I trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ. Galatians 1:10
The grass whithers, the flower fades, but the word of our God will stand forever. Isaiah 40:8
I didn't read Samuel Taylor Coleridge's Rime of the Ancient Mariner until I was in college, which I regret. I wish I had read it sooner, because it had a staggering effect on me when I read it. Reading Galatians today I immediately thought of this line from that poem.
Water, water, every where,
Nor any drop to drink.
Lost at sea and dehydrated beyond comprehension and here we are surrounded by water. There is just one problem, if we drink the water it not only won't satisfy us, but it will leave us thirstier than before and sick and ultimately will be fatal. This is what I am doing when I try to satisfy myself with things of this world. I can enjoy this world and the things in it, but when I turn to those things to satisfy my ultimate wants and desires, they may temporarily satisfy my thirst, but ultimately I want more than what these things can offer. I spent so long turning to temporary things to provide me with my self worth, but ultimately, there is only one path to complete restoration and that is knowing and loving the Lord.
Today and every day I am thankful...
21. That I can turn to the Word of God and be fulfilled.
22. For works of art like Coleridge's poetry that enhances my appreciation of the gospel
23. For Delta State University and how unique and special it is.
24. For a date night with Harper Ann and Tatum Krutz.
25. For the kindness of strangers who are patient with a table full of kids when we are out to eat.
26. That we live in Cleveland in a town where it is very hard to go anywhere without meeting a familiar face
27. For clearance Valentine's candy the day after love day.
28. For the friendships I made in college that have withstood time and distance
29. That I have one of the kindest and most thoughtful mother's to grace this world. One who goes to the trouble to make her grandson a bicycle license for finally learning to ride a bike and pick up butterfly stickers for her granddaughter and send them cards in the mail to brighten their day.
30. For Ludwig van Beethoven
No comments:
Post a Comment