Matthew 26:42-44
Again, for the second time, he went away and prayed, “My Father, if this cannot pass unless I drink it, your will be done.” 43 And again he came and found them sleeping, for their eyes were heavy. So, leaving them again, he went away and prayed for the third time, saying the same words again.
Six years ago the doctor handed me a beautiful, crying, bruised
up baby boy. After 14 hours of labor I had a tiny 9 lb. 7 oz. baby and
immediately realized that I had seriously undervalued my capacity to
love. It’s cliche I know, but I was overcome with emotion, joy being
the most prominent one. I would (and still do when I have time) spend
hours just staring at him. Along with my capacity to love and the
overwhelming love I felt for this tiny person, I also understood what it
felt like to love something more than myself. I would die for my
child, what is more I would kill for my child. I try not to dwell on
these thoughts because I don’t like to think about the hypothetical
situations that would cause me to have to execute on these truths,
however, pointing these out is necessary to explain the other revelation
parenthood gave me - that I had astronomically undervalued God’s love
for me. Because, for me, he gave his Son. He not only gave his Son,
but he turned his back on his Son and separated him from himself because
there was no other way that we could be reconciled. In the garden
Jesus prayed for any other way and got no answer. The sacrifice of the
Father in that moment is jarring. He could have stopped it all and with
great power destroyed all those who were set to torture and kill his
Son, but he didn’t. And because he didn’t we have a perfect savior who
is intimately aware of our struggle with sin and who revealed his
ultimate righteousness and paid it all.
John 16: 26-27, John 17:1-5
In that day you will ask in my name, and I do not say to you that I will ask the Father on your behalf; for the Father himself loves you, because you have loved me and have believed that I came from God.
When Jesus had spoken these words, he lifted up his eyes to heaven, and said, “Father, the hour has come; glorify your Son that the Son may glorify you, since you have given him authority over all flesh, to give eternal life to all whom you have given him. And this is eternal life, that they know you the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you have sent. I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do. And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed.
Today I am thankful...
281. That he did what I could not do, out of love gave His Son, to pay for me and my children
282. for staying up too late to watch one of my favorite movies Giant
283. for glass bottle cokes (and root beer)
284. for the first official day of spring
285. that Harper Ann was so easy to potty train (she's been completely pull-up free - yes, even at night - since October)
286. that our kids have Nana (Jonathan's aunt Jenny) in town to play with
287. for Holt's joy tonight riding his new bike to the checkout lane at walmart
288. for the past six years with the sweetest little boy
289. that I have the privilege of experiencing the unconditional love of parenthood
290. For Lucinda Williams
No comments:
Post a Comment